Friday, August 6, 2010

Automatic Heat-Control on my MacBook Pro?

I have a MacBook Pro (Merom processor, pre-February Update, and it has been my concern that my macbook pro gets VERY HOT, to the tune of 180 degrees fahrenheit. Using SMCFanControl, i have been able to keep this below 120 degrees fahrenheit. Yet, I am not sure that keeping my fan on 6000 rpm (normal speed when the computer is not hot by default is 1200). Is there a way to make a script change SMCFanControl's preset from my normal to High RPM setting automatically when the temperature goes above 140? (versus mac automatic of 160). Also, is it safe to run the fans so high?Automatic Heat-Control on my MacBook Pro?
personally i wouldnt go in and try to reprogram your fan speeds. Apple will have set them the way they are for a reason, and if you tamper with them your warranty will be void. Apple laptops are just known as hot laptops. I have owned two and both of them have always gotten hot, but they always work perfectlyAutomatic Heat-Control on my MacBook Pro?
The question I have is where is the laptop when it gets hot. Remember that the entire base of the laptop is a giant heatsink, attempting to dissipate heat. So keeping it on a table, or even worse, on blankets or anything similar can cause the laptop to heat up. You can try keeping on a table with a pencil underneath to allow air flow. This might help keep it cool and reduce the wear of the fans.

No comments:

Post a Comment